1. Congress's policymaking role is based on lawmaking, oversight and:
1. The __________ controls the scheduling of bills for debate in the U.S. House of Representatives.
House majority leader
House majority whip
House Rules Committee
1. After the president, __________ is widely considered the second most powerful federal official in Washington, D.C.
the vice president
the U.S. Senate majority leader
the Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives
The U.S. Senate president pro tempore
1. Which of the following is true about the office of the president?
The president is also the President of the Senate
The president is the Commander-in-Chief
The president can be a naturalized citizen
The president can be of any age
1. Most of the work that is done in Congress today:
is done through standing committees.
is done in conjunction with the president.
is done on the floor of each chamber.
occurs in private meetings with lobbyists.
1. Which of the following is true of the president and his or her veto power?
It can be overridden by a two-thirds vote of the Congress.
It is only a sign of presidential strength.
Threatening a veto never causes Congress to bend to the president's demands.
It has no limits.
1. Which of the following is a procedural tactic in which a minority of senators can block a bill by talking until other senators give in and the bill is withdrawn?
1. __________ requires that each bill introduced in Congress be referred to the proper committee.
The U.S. Constitution
The Legislative Reorganization Act of 1946
The Legislative Act of 1789
1. __________ are the two states that do not use the unit rule in the Electoral College.
California and New Jersey
New Mexico and Texas
Vermont and Rhode Island
Maine and Nebraska
1. The Senate majority whip:
is tasked with coordinating between officials of the political party in power and its members in the Senate.
is primarily responsible for aiding incumbent reelection efforts.
Acts as the House majority leader in the case of the absence of that member.
Sees to it that members know when important votes are scheduled.
Trusted by students worldwide
Over the past month, 21,189 students have bought study materials through Stuvia.
Immediately available, always accessible
Your summaries are immediately downloadable after purchase, wherever and whenever you study, in both digital and hardcopy formats.
100% money back guarantee
Is your purchase not to your liking? Then you will be refunded for the entire amount, as Stuvia credit.
Safe & Protected transactions
Pay with trusted payment options like Celbux, or your Credit or Debit Card. Payments are handled through a secure TLS-Connection so your information is always well protected.
The best study notes
Avoid resits and achieve higher grades with the best study notes written by your fellow students.
With summaries written by fellow students, you are guaranteed to be properly prepared for your exams. Over 250,000 specific summaries are at your disposal. Your fellow students know exactly where the pitfalls lie and what the key elements will be to your success in that module. With their assistance, you can become well prepared and can avoid having to retake exams.
Get better grades
Thanks to the summaries written by fellow students specifically for your course and its modules, you will never miss a trick when it comes to your exams. No generic book summaries, but the specific content you need to ace your exams.
Earn while you study
Have you written lots of lecture summaries or notes? Earn hundreds of pounds each month by selling your written material to your fellow students. Last year students earned over R 200 000 from selling their work to other students.